Friday, March 25, 2011

The Weaver


Have you ever seen how fabric is woven together?  Lines of yarn or thread are interwoven with additional yarn or thread to create a solid piece of material of beautiful design.  It is a fascinating process where pieces of something are intertwined,  weaved together, to make something whole.

Once in a while I hear someone say something that resonates deep within me.  It happened for me and church one day.  The topic of the meeting was "The Gift of the Spirit."

A good friend of mine spoke on the topic of the Holy Ghost. She said, "The Holy Ghost has woven every spiritual experience I have had into every fiber of my being."

She went on to paint the picture that every time the Spirit testifies of truth, offers comfort, gently guides and teaches, every time the it speaks to your soul (for it is a spiritual communication) the Spirit imprints those experiences on your heart and soul.

What a beautiful sentiment, and I find myself in total agreement with my dear friend.

C.S. Lewis once said, "Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods."

Faith is not static.  Each day it is either stronger or weaker than the day before.  It take constant effort, nourishment and care to strengthen one's faith.  In times of disaster, fear, trial and sorrow,when our faith is tried, we can hold on to what we once believe in our minds.  We can also tap into the imprints of past spiritual experiences that have been woven into our heart.  It is a safety net for the soul- a part of who we are.

When I feel the Spirit, it weaves traces of itself with me- in affect changing me for the better.   Perhaps this is one of the ways we become like our Savior.  The threads that make me are intertwined by the threads of deity. Only therein can I become more like my Savior.  Only with the woven threads can I be made whole.

What joy that brings me!

I also feel this is a comforting- and very fitting- lesson, because there are many times in my life when I feel like I am hanging on by a thread!  Now I now where to get more when I need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment