Thursday, October 10, 2013

You Are What You Think




I'm sure you've heard the term, "You are what you eat." Well, if that's true, than I am a ginormous piece of chocolate. Though, I hope I wouldn't look this matronly. Not yet, at least.....









Anyway -  there is a michelleism I want you to consider:  "You are what you think."


I love to think (even more than I love to each chocolate!) My mind is constantly swirling with thoughts and ideas about the world around me and the heavens above. There is so much to think about, so much to consider. Why we are here, what is my role in life, what's the purpose, where am I going? What is the best route/way, what direction should I take? How can I improve myself, be a better person/wife/mother/friend?  And on and on.
The apostle Paul loved to think, too. But, it wasn't just the act of thinking, but what we spent our time thinking about that was important to him. 

He said,  "Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8).

Why is so important what we keep on minds on?

The answer can be found in Proverbs 23:7 :"For as he thinketh in his hearth, so is he."

There is a term I love that says, "What you feed grows." If we turn our minds and attention towards the good and positive things, towards light and truth, towards things of a heavenly nature, that our heart will be turned that way, too. Our thoughts are the seeds of our character and actions. They are who we become.

Most, dare I say, all that we are and do stems from what we think. When I say think, I am including our thoughts, opinions, questions, doubts, and beliefs. We are who and what we think about.

If a man chooses to think only on the negative, he will become a negative person. If he, in turn, thinks and ponders on the positive, a change will come over him, and he will become a positive person. 

There is great power in what and how we choose to think. And the great news is that power has been given to us. We can decide what and how we think, and in turn, who we become.  No one can make us think badly of ourselves, we choose to. No one can make us believe in a higher power. We choose to what we think, and that determines who we are.




So, next time you sit down to think, think carefully about what you think about. Think about who are you. Are you who you want to be? If not, consider changing your thoughts, and you just might see a change in you. Because you really are what you think.

What do you think about that?



No comments:

Post a Comment