Tuesday, March 12, 2013


Most of what I've learned about writing has been self-taught. I've read nearly every how-to book from the library, attended writer's conferences and retreats, read a lot of books, and did my research online.

Over the years I've found some wonderful articles - but my favorite types are the easy-to-read, bottom-line, tips and advice from professionals (which do me more good than "Just follow your dreams")


I came across a great article this morning called '5 Editor's Secrets to Help You Write Like a Pro'


The article is great, and I highly recommend you read it, but below is a summary of the 5 secrets:



  1. Sentences can do one thing at a time.
  2. Paragraphs can do one thing at a time.
  3. Look closely at -ing.
  4. Omit unnecessary words.
  5. Reframe 90% of the passive voice
     Bonus secret: Use spell-check!



There is no 100% formula for successful writing--but there is one for failure: Don't write.

So, if you want to write, do it. Research, read, practice!  Let others read your writing, and be sure to wear you big-girl underwear when they tell you it needs work (if they are good friends, they will!)

Then, re-write, edit, research more and keep writing!

Smile on!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment